ExpressCard 34 Solid State Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZballZ, Oct 16, 2008.

1. ZballZ macrumors regular

I've just come across this product at belkin. A 16 GB solid state drive, that flush fits in the express-port of the MBP.

Does this mean, that you can use this as a typical SSD if it is left in the port at all does? Running apps and stuff directly from this? Or is it just a fast type of memory-stick?

2. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

I think if you leave it in it will show up in your computer as a removable drive. I doubt that you can boot from it though.

3. ZballZ thread starter macrumors regular

Too bad. They have already annouced larger sizes - 32, 64 GB. Pretty soon, perhaps, you could get a 128 GB expresscard SSD....!

4. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

5. Lyshen macrumors 6502

My only question for the Pretec expresscards is how are the speeds?

Previous Expresscard SSD were just USB flash drives converted to Expresscard... which meant that the transfer rates were rather slow. (Example being Lexar ones)

I know Verbatim announced in January that they are releasing Expresscards that are native so the read/write speeds are much faster. Only drawback is cost... 16/32/64 for $99.99/$149.99/$299.99 respectively in USD.

6. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Indeed the speed is a vital question because if they are just USB speed then forget it. I can't find any info on this yet, they are due to be released in April this year though so there should be something soon.

What I want to know though is if it is possible to install a bootable version of windows onto an Expresscard SSD Drive....?

7. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I was looking into this and from what I read you can't boot from them and their speed is piss slow.

8. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Well Lexar have made some which have fast speeds and use the real capabilities of the Expresscard. The others I have seen are all really slow.
    As for booting, that is a shame if true. It would be nice to have Vista self-contained on its own drive but still all with the Mac.

9. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Memory

How about memory? Can I add a ExpressCard/34 slot card that will boost my RAM? I'm on a March 2009 15" MBP with 4GBs of RAM. I'd love to increase my RAM, so long as it is doable and makes sense.

10. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Memory

How about memory? Can I add a ExpressCard/34 slot card that will boost my RAM? I'm on a March 2009 15" MBP with 4GBs of RAM. I'd love to increase my RAM, so long as it is doable and makes sense.

Edit: Sorry about the duplicate posting! My internet switched on/off and caused the double posting.

11. James Cole macrumors 6502

Will it work the same as normal SSD or what would you use it for???

12. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

It won't be as fast as a normal SSD (at least from what I've read). I'd like one to store my music/movies from iTunes.

13. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

14. Biolizard macrumors 6502

Shame about the non-booting thing. Having a small SSD just to run the OS from (maybe applications too) would be amazing, and still cost-effective.

15. yangzone macrumors newbie

32/20 MB/s is slow - USB 2 speed

Beware: This Pretec "fast" card is a slow card with a USB 2 (internal, non-native) interface.

The speed for booting needs to be about 115/65 to get a noticeable advantage - like, say, the 48GB Filemate with it's *native* expresscard interface.

It would be nice to get more capacity with native configuration.

16. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

17. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

A couple of threads on this already, which ExpressCard SSD reliability in question:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=714310&highlight=filemate
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=844951&highlight=filemate