ExpressCard bye/buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rawdawg, Jun 8, 2009.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I've waited for this update! Literally everyday staring at my render status on FCP with my G4 FW800.

Had my finger on the trigger to get the 2.66 15" but just knew I had to wait--I'm so glad I did! A pretty significant update and options (more so than the speed bump from a few months ago). Now support 8GB RAM officially is a HUGE plus!!

I did not at all foresee the deletion of ExpressCard slots on all but the 17". I do video editing and currently use FW hard drives. I've wondered if in the future I'd start using eSATA through the ExpressCard slot. I honestly don't have any experience with this but see it more and more, thought it could be the future.

I planned on getting a 15", but do you think having the ExpressCard slot is important enough to warrant getting the 17"?

2. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

You could always get a firewire to esata converter if you really need it.

I don't see external enclosures completely eliminating firewire any time soon.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

depends on the user. for me it is essential. but im sure for others not at all.

4. cube macrumors G5

ExpressCard is the new FireWire. Waiting for the new 3000+ complaint thread to open.

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

really feel like that was a bad move on their part. who cares about a SD reader?!

6. cube macrumors G5

Especially when there are ExpressCard MULTI readers.

7. zalves macrumors member

I have never used my expressCard slot, but I would never exchange it for a miserable SD card slot. Its like exchanging a fully featured swiss army knife for a miserable blunt knife. I would even have prefered an extra USB port...

8. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

What are we using express cards for? I have not found one compatible with HCSD and the SSD/Express cards are a complete joke. Now, I know that there are some reasons to have one, but I would think its less than 5% of the users. While replacing it with SD is odd, there is no love lost for me here.