Expresscard CF adapter makes MBP lock and says "Computer needs restart" WHY!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by S-Man, Jun 7, 2009.

  1. S-Man macrumors regular

    S-Man

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2009
    Location:
    Houston
    #1
    I got this Compact Flash card adapter Express Card from Amazon: LINK
    and it worked a few times, but now it just makes the computer lock every time I put it in, and the screen has a grey overlay that slowly drops from the top then a message pops up and says "Your computer needs to restart. Hold down button yadda yadda" and it says it in like 5 languages.

    The company I got it from is Shopdigi and they emailed me an updated driver before the card even got to me. Even after installing the updated driver it still jacks up.
    Anyone know what's going on here? Bad card? Bad laptop?

    Mine is a 2.53 UMBP.
     
  2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

    Sneakz

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    #2
    It's called a Kernel Panic. I don't know whats causing for you but its a known fact the ExpressCards are iffy on MacBook Pro's.
     
  3. S-Man thread starter macrumors regular

    S-Man

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2009
    Location:
    Houston
    #3
    I've read of several threads where people use them successfully...What's the determining factor? Is it pretty much a tossup on which machine you get? Do you just get lucky?
     
  4. yaroldb macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2007
    #4
    I have that same exact card. They sell it at Fry's. It works about 90% of the time. The other 10% I get a kernal panic. I use it to transfer into Lightroom, but it would freeze up during the import portion. I started copying the folders on to the desktop and then importing from there. I've not had a freeze doing it this way. It's super fast when it works. Much faster than my FW 400 CF reader.

    I have a Uni 2.4 by the way.
     
  5. S-Man thread starter macrumors regular

    S-Man

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2009
    Location:
    Houston
    #5
    It really pissed me off. I got it because I was going to be shooting a wedding last Saturday, and needed to download the second-shooters images before he left.
    Imagine my dismay when it locked every time I tried to use it. :mad:
    So I finally gave up and had to dedicate a camera body to transfer via USB, which is ridiculously slow.

    I emailed Shopdigi and they told me to send it back and they'll send me another unit. This blows. Why Apple? WHY!
     
  6. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #6
    Because Apple doesn't make the drivers; and don't expect any new drivers soon especially since the new computers don't have an ExpressCard slot.

    You can always use a FW800 UDMA reader.
     

Share This Page