Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oYx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
London
I have a 2007 MBP, and I understand that the existing Firewire 400 and 800 ports are on the same bus.

I wonder if the Expresscard Firewire adapters with two ports actually provide two Firewire buses? The specs do say up to 2.5 Gb, so I assume that will be more than enough for two FW800 devices to run at full speed – but I want to be sure.

Any insight will be much appreciated.

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
My firewire 800 expresscard transfers speeds dropped dramatically after upgrading to Lion. Probably something related to drivers. Unluckily the company doesn't provide Lion compatible drivers.

16Mb/s is a bit too slow...

oYx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
London
Was just also wondering if the 2.5 Gbps only applies to the data link. Anyone tried running both ports at full FW800 speeds?

----------

My firewire 800 expresscard transfers speeds dropped dramatically after upgrading to Lion. Probably something related to drivers. Unluckily the company doesn't provide Lion compatible drivers.

16Mb/s is a bit too slow...

Did you manage to run both ports at full FW800 speed before you upgraded to Lion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.