ExpressCard or FW800

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swwack91, Jun 24, 2009.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

I don't want to waste hard drive space on my MBP's hard drive on games. I have a 16GB SSD ExpressCard as well as a FW800 external hard drive.

Which would be optimum for playing games off of (considering that a game will need a fairly high read/write speed to keep up)?

If the FW800 drive is better, how much better? Would I notice a difference if I used the ExpressCard instead?

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

The FW800 is goign to be faster since its a direct connection to the bus, express card is somewhat slower (though I cannot quote a figure on that). How much you will notice is hard to say.

Personally I would not use an external drive of any kind to play games on - the main drive will probably be much faster - again that depends though.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think you should re-think your gaming strategy. Running of either is going to be noticeably slower than running off of your internal drive.

4. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I've decided instead to run any games that I'm currently using off of my internal and moving games that I'm not currently using onto my external until I want them again.