Expresscard products

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by askywalker, Jan 18, 2008.

1. askywalker macrumors regular

Anyone see any interesting uses of the Expresscard at Macworld? What are people using their expresscard slot for?

Any fully mac supported esata cards? How about a multi-card reader? Canadian 3G cards? docking station?

2. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

I'm using a multi-card reader in my MBP (ExpressCard Card Reader by Griffin). Makes photo transfers from my camera a helluva lot simpler.

3. PimpDaddy macrumors 6502

Simpler? Do you mean faster?

4. askywalker thread starter macrumors regular

Kinda disappointing that this expresscard slot doesn't seem to have much of a use yet. I asked at the local apple store (huge 4 level store) and they only had about 3 products to show -sd card reader, a cf card reader and USB dock.

A card reader is nice - but i have tons of CF and SD cards, so I need both and end up carrying around an external...

The apple guy said there were esata readers but not from apple and with possible compatibility issues. I was hoping for video cards, sound cards, docking stations, maybe a monster breakout cable ... I dunno - something cool...

5. SystemZERO macrumors newbie

SystemZERO

6. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

If you want Esata, you could always buy an esata expresscard (bytecc makes a good cheap one that works well with OSX if i remember correctly. From reading the reviews on Newegg, the one that Rosewill makes seems to work good on MBPs as well). Thats what I plan on doing on the new MBPs (assuming that the new ones don't feature a built-in Esata port)

7. Magnus Reftel macrumors member

Well, there is the Magma ExpressBox (but it kind of takes the "portable" out of "portable computer"...)
    http://www.magma.com/products/pciexpress/expressbox1/index.html

8. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

As more and more things become integrated into computers in general, accessory makers are going to be challenged. The market is just not that big for things that are "better versions" of what already is built in.

That leaves all the stuff that is not built in which is pretty niche market stuff. Card readers are fairly uiversally needed so that is why we see those.

My personal opinion is that the express slot will primarily be used for 3G modems (both EVDO and HSDPA, eventually WIMAX) and that is about it. It makes sense not to integrate a WAN radio.

I would like to see a TV Tuner in an express format, with both OTA and cable abilities. You could throw HD Radio into that as well.

9. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Slickest thing I have seen for the slot is a remote that fits perfectly in there. Can get it at macsales.com (otherworldcomputing). Only 19.99 and a great idea.

10. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

A friend of mine uses his for one of those verizon wireless cell internet connection thingies.

11. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Yes they are pretty nice Verizon, Sprint and AT&T all have them so that for about $50 a month or so you have access to a high speed connection whenever you're within their network. 3G coverage is pretty good too.