Expresscard slot vs thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gol27, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Gol27 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi, I have been reading a lot about the very intriguing idea of an external graphic card solution. An heard about vidock which uses the expresscard slot.
    As we all know thunderbolt has a transfer speed of 10Gb/s so is the expresscard slot quicker than that?
    My main question tho is would an option like that be available for T-bolt? An which is quicker

2. dime21 macrumors 6502

No. A 5 second google search would have told you this.

3. Gol27 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Actually I did search an found contrasting information. Something about pci? I'm not great with computers so couldn't make much sense of it. So was just hoping Bit of info in an easy to understand manor.. But cheers.

4. Mollemand, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

Mollemand macrumors regular

The Thunderbolt port has got the throughput of a PCIe X16 port and more [EDIT: NOT TRUE! Read post by Sjhonny 3 posts down]. We are all waiting for that external GPU solution to hit the marked. But so far - nothing.

As far as I understand there is a political issue with the control of the Thunderbolt chip-manufactores being controlled by intel and apple, due to patents and rights. If that is the fact, we may have a long wait before we see the first external GPU solution worth buying, and within the budget of mortal man.

If you are waiting for an external PCIe X16 box to put any tripple SLI/CrossFire solution into, my tip is: 'Don't hold your breath' ;)

5. Derango macrumors regular

Expresscards have two operating modes, USB based (480mb/sec) and PCI based (2.5Gb/s)

Either way, both are slower than thunderbolt.

6. Mollemand macrumors regular

Another tip is:
    When you see that box hit the marked - buy stocks in that company, and sell when you see the next.

7. Sjhonny macrumors 6502

Not it hasn't, not even marginal close to it. Your confused by Gb (giga bit) and GB (giga byte). One byte is 8 bit. Throughput of PCI-E (v 1) was already 2 Gb/s per lane, a full blown 16 had a maximum available throughput of 32 Gb/s. V2, the currently most common one, doubles V1 and V3 doubles V2. Thunderbold = 10 Gb/s = 5 lane PCI-E (v1) port. That's probably not enough to support a GPU (much?) more powerful than currently included in the 17" MBP (since he mentioning Express card, I presumed the OP is not in the market for any other model), nor do I think the system itself will really support two GPU's at once (talking about cpu and mobo bandwidth bottlenecks). But I don't have any supporting material for that theory.

8. Mollemand macrumors regular

Fair enough. Sorry for the misinfo.

9. Gol27 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much this is exactly what I wanted to know.

10. Mollemand macrumors regular

Sorry, I misinformed you - read the post by Sjhonny .... :(

11. Gol27 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh right so the basic train of thought here seems to be that even if it is possible it won't offer any improvement over what is already on offer.
    I only ask as I can't decided over the 15 an 17 inch. I really need this laptop to last me as long as possible an when I read about possible external gpu using the expresscard slot it would have been enough to sway me.

Oh an dime21 if you dont like the contents dont read the damn thread!

But thanks to all the others.