ExpressCard Sound Card for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rhyx, Jun 5, 2008.

1. rhyx macrumors 6502

Does anyone know of any ExpressCard sound card that is compatible with the MacBook Pro? I'm tired of hearing popping sounds when using my IEM headphones with the built-in audio port.

I know there is the Creative Sound Blaster X-FI but it does not list OS X as a compatible OS. Any others out there you've seen or tried?

2. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Have you updated to 10.5.3 yet? Many folks with sound issues have found that this release fixes the problems they were having. The combo updater for 10.5.3 applied in "Safe Boot" mode may fix your issue (even if you have already updated through Software Update).

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If external sound is an option for you, I would recommend a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

thats going to be your best bet, as i dont think there are any expresscard cards that support OSX

6. Dermot macrumors newbie

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well the thing is, the NX has 7.1 analog out, optical out, RCA digital out, optical in, RCA digital in, stereo line in, mic in, USB, and remote.

The Xmod has only a stereo out and mic in.

8. quixotic macrumors regular

Also looking...

An express card audio solution would be ideal for portable musicians. Express cards should have the lowest latency you can get, which is important if you're playing thru the audio in's, processing the signal, and then back out the card. Firewire is the next fastest, and USB is the slowest. If you don't care about latency, USB is a cheaper perfectly acceptable option.

I'm also looking for other alternatives, but so far there are only two companies I know of making expresscard audio for OSX, both of which are expensive and probably overkill for what you want:
    RME, and Apogee