Expresscard SSD for 10.6

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bcburrows, Sep 12, 2009.

1. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

I have had my empty expresscard slot in my macbook pro for some time now and am wondering what to do.....

I have seen two options so far

1) 16Gb ST Lab SSD drive - I was wondering if anyone knew if it was a benefit to install the OS / ilife 09 / iWork in here, would I see an improvement in terms of performance in comparison to my 320Gb 5400 (which I will soon be upgrading to a scorpioblack 500Gb)

2) Install a memorycard reader in here as at the moment I am transferring my digital pictures either via usb from camera or via an adaptor.

Ideally I would like to go with option one, but only if that actually improves the performance of my system.

Thanks in advance

2. Dorkmonger macrumors newbie

Dorkmonger

I bought the "FileMate SolidGO 3FMS4D48M-WR 48GB ExpressCard 34 with Mini USB 2.0" and am running Snow Leopard and all of my programs off of it on my Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz 4Gb 8800GT (Late 2007). This has been the single best upgrade I have ever done to a computer that increased the perceived speed of a machine. I highly recommend it. I use the original 120Gb HDD for storage.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd either wait for larger sizes, or get the 32gb model at a minimum. To that end, I'm holding off only because of the price is extremely high for these puppies. I'm not using my expresscard at the moment so it would be nice to throw something in there that will actually be useful

4. errin macrumors member

5. Jocelyn84 macrumors member

After reading other threads about these, seems you can't boot up windows off them or even get windows to recognize them due to firmware.
    At least on Unibodies anyway...

6. bcburrows thread starter macrumors 6502

bcburrows

but....

Only reason i asked about the 16gb SSD for osx and a few progs was I have seen one in a local store for $50 thought it may be worth a go

Can you boot snow leopard from an ssd plugged in via expresscard
    I intend to keep all my docs and music on the HDD

7. neteng101 macrumors 65816

8. Jocelyn84 macrumors member

The PQI's read/write is 88/48, whereas the Filemate's read/write is 116/65.
    I'd think using any kind of ssd in that tiny little slot would make the card get rather hot, regardless of what brand or speed it is.

9. errin macrumors member

Yes, I am. :(