ExpressCard SSD for Windows 7 on 2010 MBP 17

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grapii, Aug 25, 2010.

1. grapii macrumors member

Hi All,

I have a MacBook Pro 17" 2010 and was wondering if I can install Windows 7 (via bootcamp) onto an ExpressCard SSD.

My MBP already has a 164GB Intel SSD for OS X, but I would like to have the ability to run Win 7. I don't want to partition my Intel SSD so If I buy an ExpressCard SSD could I use bootcamp and get Win 7 installed on that?

If this is possible, any recommendations as to which ExpressCard SSD I should go for? I guess it needs to have fast read/write in order to run Windows.

I've seen this, but don't know if it's compatible with MBP: http://www.teamgroup.com.tw/teamgroup/en/productDetail.php?pd_id=469&pl1_id=7&pl2_id=68

Your help and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Raj

2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

That's a good idea. I'd like to know this too. I guess the question is if Expresscard is bootable.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I believe bootcamp will only cooperate with an internal disk drive with the original OS X install on it. Atleast, thats how it was back in the day.

Note the hint only talks about booting OS X which of course is an easy affair.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

That's still true Eddy but if the OP has two install drives installed, minus the optical, it should work like it does on our MacPro. From my understanding using a SSD in the ExpressCard slot isn't technically seen as 'internal'. I do wonder has anyone found a work-a-round.

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I think you can do this, you might have to install windows on it from another computer, but it should work, and i kinda want it...

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. Interesting BUT wouldn't the hardware configurations be different from that of the MBP? Doesn't windows inspect the hardware prior to installation? And if it did work, after installing bootcamp, wouldn't you have loads of 'junk' drivers in the windows directory and registry?

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

well you would install your bootcamp drivers from your cd before moving it to the MBP, don't know about the second part tho...

9. grapii thread starter macrumors member

Reading lots about this and it's a shame but I don't think it's possible. However, other than an SSD option, I really don't think the ExpressCard slot will be of mush benefit to me, so I'm still going to get an ExpressCard SSD, one that uses an eSATA connection rather than USB.

I'll probably use VM Fusion or Parallels and create the virtual image on the EC SSD or use it as storage.

Any suggestions on the best EC SSD using the eSATA/PCI-E connection (not USB) for the MBP??