ExpressCards and Mavericks not working?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Mauro371, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Mauro371 macrumors newbie

I just updated to Mavericks from 10.8.5 on my 17" late 2011 MacBook Pro, 16Gb RAM. Prior to updating I was able to use my Magma 4-slot PCI (not PCIe) chassis via their ExpressCard 34 card. After updating, the chassis or the card are not recognized. The card doesn't show up in about this mac, system information under PCI cards. The icon for the ExpressCard does show up in the MenuBar, and greyed out it says PCI-to-PCI bridge, hinting that it indeed recognized the card. Unfortunately, it does not.

I have read in Apple forums, and there is a thread here too, that other users are having problems with SSD ExpressCards and other ExpressCards. Did Mavericks stopped supporting ExpressCards altogether? Is anyone else having problems with their ExpressCards?

If anyone knows of a way of bringing back that functionality, perhaps by recovering a kext file or some other way, please post.

2. Vshjaar, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

Vshjaar macrumors newbie

I'm having a similar issue with Mavericks breaking the ExpressCard slot functionality.

I have just updated my 2010 MBP 17" and have tried using my CalDigit USB3.0 ExpressCard but it doesn't even show up as being connected. The power still works through it however.

I did originally get the Card Icon in the menu but not working card slot.

Because the Mavericks installation was flawed - Bluetooth was not working also - I reinstalled the OS but no joy on the card slot issue but Bluetooth is now working.

Make sure you feedback to Apple your issues.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

3. peteruno macrumors newbie

mavericks install announced driver incompatible.

I'm really bummed also because I'm seeing absolutely no indication that anyone is writing a driver for Mavericks. Its like the only way to enjoy the last of the 17" MBP's with the card bus slot is not to upgrade to Mavericks or lose your whole esata array or spend hundreds of dollars to purchase a thunderbolt enclosure.

4. rcappo macrumors 6502

Has anymore been found out about this? Did anyone get an expressport card to work with Mavericks (10.9.1)?

I get a bunch of kernel panics when I install my GMYLE Expresscard 34mm USB3.0 card (BC628). And I have tried to install some drivers, but without luck.

Does anyone know of another USB3 expresscard that will work? I liked having two more USB ports...

5. seth princeton macrumors newbie

Mavericks - Express 34 Card Slot not recognized

Here is how I fixed this on my 2009 15" MBP. Go to the Sonnet support page (link is below). Download and install the software for their express 34 card reader on your MBP (Name of file is below). That was it for me. Took less than 5 minutes. I stumbled on this by mere luck after researching the net and getting no where with Apple. Hope it works for you.

Qio System Installer and Uninstaller (OS X) 1.3.2c

http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=402&expand=_a2_b678_b491_a3_b496&action=b503