EXR image format into Aperture (Convert?)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by LERsince1991, Apr 29, 2011.

1. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

Hi, In my 3d rendering program it gives me the option to render to 32 bit exr.

I'd prefer to do this as I can then edit the highlights etc... a lot better without loosing data. Basically it preserves data like RAW format does.

I'd like to edit them the same way I edit my RAW images from my canon 400d, in aperture 3.

But Aperture doesn't support .exr?

How can I convert my exr images into dng, RAW, cr2 or something that aperture supports?

I have photoshop, aperture, cs5 etc...

help really appreciated !!!
    Thanks,
    Luke

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I think the problem is that EXR isn't really "image" data, much like how RAW data really isn't "image" data either. Aperture has the ability to render RAW data into an image, but with EXR you'd have to tone map it into an image to get it something displayable.

If you can open the EXR in photoshop, you should be able to change it into like a TIFF or a PSD, which Aperture should be able to read. But, I'm pretty sure that in doing so you'd have to tone map it first- and then "baking in" that tone map into an image file.

Basically I don't think it's possible to do what you're really looking for- which is the ability to natively tone map HDR-format files in Aperture.

3. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

I can open the exr files in photoshop, but I would have thought there is a way to convert them to adobe .DNG at least?

I've tried saving them out from photoshop into .psd or .tiff (32 bit float?) but aperture doesn't like either as they are 32 bit. Ideally I need to change them to .dng files to work with properly.

I would have thought this is possible?

Luke