Ext Blu-Ray

Bioshox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Manchester, UK.
Hey guys

I tried asking Apple Support about this but they didn't seem to have many answers, I tried Google, but on this one it wasen't being friendly.

Anyway, can anybody give me any information or links on where I can find a Ext Blu-Ray player for Mac, preferably via USB.

Many thanks!!!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Any external Blu Ray player will work, it does not need to be Mac specific.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads, as that question gets asked and answered a lot:

Last edited:
Comment

Bioshox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Manchester, UK.
Thanks for the replies!

I read somewhere that OSX has no support for BluRay playback, that is really where my concern was!

Comment

spcdust

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Thanks for the replies!

I read somewhere that OSX has no support for BluRay playback, that is really where my concern was!
Not natively, however I've had some success with this product playing encrypted Blu-rays:

http://www.macblurayplayer.com/

It's not 100% as it doesn't have all the "keys" to un-encrypt the built in Blu-ray encryption, for example no success with the LOTR extended version Blu-rays.

Comment

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
Spcdust is correct, there is no native support for playback - I believe this is due to licencing issues, but as stated, solutions to exist to permit this.

Personally I use the external drive to rip my blu ray collection usking MakeMKV & Handbrake for use with my ATV2 :D

Comment

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
Spcdust is correct, there is no native support for playback - I believe this is due to licencing issues, but as stated, solutions to exist to permit this.

Personally I use the external drive to rip my blu ray collection usking MakeMKV & Handbrake for use with my ATV2 :D
I do the same thing, but you can use makeMKV and VLC to play back BRs without ripping them in the first place.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.