Ext. Drive will not mount however it shows in Disk Utility?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by IrisCaddis, May 5, 2011.

1. IrisCaddis, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011

IrisCaddis macrumors newbie

Ext. Drive will not mount however it shows in Disk Utility?

Back story: Been using a Lacie backup on my MBPro with Time Machine. Decided to use the ext. drive to back up my old G3 yosemite running OS 10.3. It would not show on desktop. Decided to pass on that. Went back to my new MBPro, plugged it in and states disk utility cannot repair. "disk1s3" See images. Help! I have stored data on this drive and it was working great.
    What did I do ; x

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Do other hard drives (even your internal hard drive) show up on your desktop?

3. simsaladimbamba

4. IrisCaddis thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the MBPro drive works, and I have another ext. drive and that runs as well.

5. IrisCaddis thread starter macrumors newbie

6. IrisCaddis thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's the images.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Looks like your drive may be failing.. I had this same problem with a 500gb Western Digital external hard drive about a year ago. It just didn't mount all of the sudden and then quit working all-together. You still should try to reformat the drive to see if that fixes the problem though.

If you need any of the files on the external drive you are going to have to use a utility such as Data Rescue 3 or something similar and then try to reformat the drive. If not, go ahead and click erase and try to reformat it and see if it works.

8. IrisCaddis thread starter macrumors newbie

TouchDown, do those utilities such as Data Rescue 3 and Disk Warrior actually work? thanks for the help :)

9. simsaladimbamba

Data Rescue worked for me several times, it even took one week to scan an HDD and I could recover most of it.

10. cube macrumors G5

DiskWarrior worked for me where Disk Utility failed.

11. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yes, I recently had an issue where I deleted a partition off my hard drive and was able to get everything back off of it even though it was labeled as "free space." I would highly recommend Data Rescue 3. It might even be able to repair your drive even though disk utility couldn't.