Ext Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KurtangleTN, Sep 6, 2009.

1. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

Recently this external hard drive I have spun down right in the middle of a Time Machine backup. It ended up freezing my Mac for a second so I turned it off only to have it come up saying it was corrupt and needed a format. I did that and it seemed to work fine only to see it would never eject (it had nothing on it but it claimed programs were using it) so I was forced again to shut it off without ejecting.

This time I turned it back on and it didn't (and still doesn't) appear for about 15 mins.. now SL says "Can't be read" and when I go to disk utility it just shows the drive (no volumes, everything like partioning and erasing is all greyed out)

Is the drive dead or is there hope?

2. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

If the drive isn't making audible noises while running I would think it's still savable. Have you considered more intensive hardware testing utilities like Disk Warrior or Tech Tool? The fact that it does appear in Disk Utility is a good sign I think. Disk Warrior in particular would be able to rebuild the file directory on the drive, and that may solve your problem.