Ext Hard drive wont turn off.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Fishtalk macrumors regular

I have my Pismo G3 HD cloned to a Iomega Mini Max Ext;HD for back up. I leave it permantly plugged in because I use a partition for my iTunes lib and iPhoto Lib.
    When I "wake" the G3 the Mini max comes on automatically and when I put the G3 to sleep it turns off ( Blue Line, light). Normal
    Booting from the cloned ext.HD everything seems to work a litttle faster. (More space I suppose) But when I put the G3 to "sleep" the ( Blue line, light) does'nt turn off... but "Noise wise" it seems to be off.
    If I turn the ordi OFF then the light goes out.... Is this normal ? and if not, how can I change my set up to fix it ?
    Thanks in advance

2. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Fishtalk

Evidently nobody seem interessted in my question... I asked it twice in 5 days...NO ANSWERS.... Too compilcated too vague Too dumb ???? Or is there nobody out there who uses an Iomega Mini max ext.HD...
    Ho hum..i'll just leave it as it is... and if it breaks i'll be your fault.

3. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

seems pretty normal to me. If you're booting off it, it wants to keep power going to the drive enclosure, even if it sleeps the drive itself. If you're not, it can afford to power down all external devices.
    I'd say save your mental energy for more substantial matters, but don't forget to clone your external back to the internal periodically as a backup.