Ext hd hook-up for video

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jbizzari, Sep 13, 2011.

1. jbizzari macrumors newbie

Just purchased refurb iMac, i7,3.4GHz. Have ext hd with firewire 800, 400, and usb connections. Also, a HV30 Canon HD Camcorder. (Tape based).
    Since iMac has only one firewire 800 port, what's the best way to connect everything for importing video? The camcorder is connected to hd firewire 400 port. HD is connected to iMac firewire 800 port. Since camera is 400, then the 800 connection to computer is automatically reduced to 400.You read that you should always try to use an external hd for video editing, to avoid dropping frames or whatever when internal hd is doing something else for the system (like checking network connections, etc). Otherwise, my int hd is large enough to work on one movie at a time but am trying to avoid dropping frames. I only want to make sure that I'm not missing a connection option that I may not be aware of.
    Bought the camera, have about twenty tapes ready to import, and I now have a computer capable of dealing with HD.
    Thank you in advance:confused:

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Get yourself a FW 400 to 800 cable, hook the camcorder to the FW 800 port on the iMac and hook the external HD to one of the USB ports on the iMac.

3. jbizzari thread starter macrumors newbie

That was an option I considered, and have already ordered adapters and cables, but everything I've researched says Firewire is much better at transferring video than USB. I even found test results confirming that. On paper, firewire 400 and usb 2.0 are supposed to be about the same speed, but all tests I've found disprove that (they called them "real world" tests).
    But, I'm not speaking from experience.
    Thanks for input. After all, that may be my best option.