Ext HD Issue....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chipskip, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Chipskip macrumors member

I am a newbie to macs, using a new MacBook.

I just got my 2nd WD My Book 1TB Home Edt. I had it formatted and partitioned twice just fine as HFS+, but decided that I was going to move the drive to my AEB and possible my aTv. So I went into disk utilities to make it just one partition, this is where my problem started.

When I went to "erase" the drive and reformat it I got a an error, "Filesystem verify or repair failed". I tried repairing the drive and nothing I new to try worked. So I plugged the drive into a WinXP machine and was easily able to reformatt it to FAT32 and/or NTFS. After this I am able to plug it into the MB again and it sees it just when. When I go to format it in HFS+ I get the same error and I have to plug the HD back into XP to reformat it.....

I have tried this several times and am not find a different end result, so I am now turning to y'all for help.

Yes it has the latest firmware (Jan 2009) from WD. Yes it works fine on the XP machine.

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I have seen this happen on several occasions if the partition table map is not set for Mac when attempting to re-format a drive.

Go back into Disk Utility and do the following in this order and see if it doesn't clear you up:

• Select the whole drive in the left column (the top line info, not the partition)
    • Click the "Partition" tab at the top
    • Change the "Partition Scheme" pulldown from "Current" to "1 Partition"
    • Click the "Options" button at the bottom
    Choose "GUID" in the window that appears
    • Click "OK"
    • Give the disk a name in "Volume Information:" and choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the "Format:" section
    • Click "Apply" at the bottom, then "OK"

Hopefully in about 20 seconds or so a new hard drive icon will pop up on your desktop and you can enjoy the new drive!;)

3. Chipskip thread starter macrumors member

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc