Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davcoccio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
Hello,

I have a Western Digital 1TB External Hard Drive and I made 2 partitions, one Mac OS Extended Journaled and the other in FAT32.

The drive works perfectly but when I plug it into the iMac, 9 times out of 10 the two partitions appear in the Desktop but only one (FAT32) appears in the sidebar of a Finder window. And it does the same thing on my MacBook Pro.

Here are some screenshots :
eqv91j.jpg

2mxv01.jpg

Does anyone know why and if it can be fixed? Maybe a reformat would help?

Thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Have you tried dragging the Mac formatted partition into the sidebar?

Not sure if this will work for you, because I seldom use the sidebar, myself.

That said, so long as the partition mounts on the -desktop-, and so long as you can access it there, I wouldn't go to the trouble of re-initializing it.

If you can "get to it" on the desktop, go with what works....

davcoccio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
Have you tried dragging the Mac formatted partition into the sidebar?

Not sure if this will work for you, because I seldom use the sidebar, myself.

That said, so long as the partition mounts on the -desktop-, and so long as you can access it there, I wouldn't go to the trouble of re-initializing it.

If you can "get to it" on the desktop, go with what works....

Yeah I've tried it, it works but I have to do it every time I plug my HD.
It's definitely not a major issue but it itches me when for example in a Save dialog I have to look for the drive in the iMac root folder because it's not showing up in the sidebar. :) So maybe someone has an explanation for that.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah I've tried it, it works but I have to do it every time I plug my HD.
It's definitely not a major issue but it itches me when for example in a Save dialog I have to look for the drive in the iMac root folder because it's not showing up in the sidebar. :) So maybe someone has an explanation for that.

This is not a fix, but a workaround that might be OK for you:

Command drag the drive icons to the topbar of the finder window, and they will be there for you to reference whenever you like :)

davcoccio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
This is not a fix, but a workaround that might be OK for you:

Command drag the drive icons to the topbar of the finder window, and they will be there for you to reference whenever you like :)

Oh yes thanks! Done! But that still doesn't fix the Save Dialogs though :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have a Western Digital 1TB External Hard Drive and I made 2 partitions, one Mac OS Extended Journaled and the other in FAT32.

I just did a test with a USB key and made one partition HFS+ and the other FAT32 and ejected then reinserted the key and ejected a couple times. Every time both partitions show on the Desktop and in the Finder sidebar. So dunno what's up with your setup. :confused:

I'm on Mavericks 10.9.2.

davcoccio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
I just did a test with a USB key and made one partition HFS+ and the other FAT32 and ejected then reinserted the key and ejected a couple times. Every time both partitions show on the Desktop and in the Finder sidebar. So dunno what's up with your setup. :confused:

I'm on Mavericks 10.9.2.

Yes I have other drives with 2 partitions and they all show up correctly as they should.
I think this is a problem with the drive and maybe the original formatting that went slightly wrong.
I guess that's not a common issue...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.