Ext.HD shows 2 partitions on desktop and 1 in sidebar

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davcoccio, Apr 20, 2014.

1. davcoccio macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a Western Digital 1TB External Hard Drive and I made 2 partitions, one Mac OS Extended Journaled and the other in FAT32.

The drive works perfectly but when I plug it into the iMac, 9 times out of 10 the two partitions appear in the Desktop but only one (FAT32) appears in the sidebar of a Finder window. And it does the same thing on my MacBook Pro.

Here are some screenshots :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know why and if it can be fixed? Maybe a reformat would help?

Thanks

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Have you tried dragging the Mac formatted partition into the sidebar?

Not sure if this will work for you, because I seldom use the sidebar, myself.

That said, so long as the partition mounts on the -desktop-, and so long as you can access it there, I wouldn't go to the trouble of re-initializing it.

If you can "get to it" on the desktop, go with what works....

3. davcoccio thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I've tried it, it works but I have to do it every time I plug my HD.
    It's definitely not a major issue but it itches me when for example in a Save dialog I have to look for the drive in the iMac root folder because it's not showing up in the sidebar. :) So maybe someone has an explanation for that.

4. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

This is not a fix, but a workaround that might be OK for you:

Command drag the drive icons to the topbar of the finder window, and they will be there for you to reference whenever you like :)

5. davcoccio thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yes thanks! Done! But that still doesn't fix the Save Dialogs though :)

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I just did a test with a USB key and made one partition HFS+ and the other FAT32 and ejected then reinserted the key and ejected a couple times. Every time both partitions show on the Desktop and in the Finder sidebar. So dunno what's up with your setup. :confused:

I'm on Mavericks 10.9.2.

7. davcoccio thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have other drives with 2 partitions and they all show up correctly as they should.
    I think this is a problem with the drive and maybe the original formatting that went slightly wrong.
    I guess that's not a common issue...