Ext HDD falling asleep?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brookied, Jun 13, 2007.

1. brookied macrumors member

Hi Guys
    OK my issue is that i have an Ext Philips 250gd drive, 3 partitions and hooked up via USB.

When i boot the Mac (mostly asleep) the drive may? wake. mostly it will not untill i remove the USB cable and plug in again, This will wake the ext hdd for about 20mins if not used , After this it falls asleep again.

I have all power saving options checked for ext devices, nothing indicates to fall asleep yet it still does.

Anybody else have this issue and know what i can do to prevent this. The most annoying issue from this is that when i look in finder for somthing it hangs as the Ext HDD is asleep all the time?

Thanks for any help
    Darren

2. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

That might be the controller for the hard drive inside the enclosure, to power off the disks.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

My WD also falls asleep, eventually.

If it bugs you, you might want to consider writing a little program (in terminal or with automator, I guess that'd work) that accesses the drive every now and then to keep it awake :)

4. brookied thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help, I would have no idea on writing a program to keep the disc awake. New to Mac, :rolleyes:

I will have a poke around and see what i can find