Ext hdd for iTunes + iTunes match

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by bp1000, Nov 25, 2011.

1. bp1000 macrumors 65816

If I store my library on an ext hdd in lossless and I don't plug it in / have it with me would iTunes match let me listen to those songs it's expecting to see on the external hdd?

If so will it overwrite/choose to play the 256kb icloud song instead of my local lossless file when i plug my hdd back in again?

Thanks

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

In my experience, no. When I have songs that aren't available but still in iTunes, I am not able to play it even though it is also in the cloud.

No. The only way to replace a local file is to first delete it and then download it from the cloud.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Many posts about this lately. The answer is no, when your storage drive is offline it will work the same as it always has - that music will not be accessible.

The work around is to create a second, empty iTunes profile that you open and connect to your Match account so you can stream your library when you are not connected to the storage drive.