Ext HDD mounting issue(s)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by michaeldc, Mar 2, 2014.

1. michaeldc macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2014
    Hi all, I have a bit of an odd problem with an ext hdd, if anyone has any ideas and the time to help then I would greatly appreciate it.

My iMac has a 1tb internal HDD partitioned 3 times in the following order - Macintosh HD / BOOTCAMP / Files (NTFS format)

I bought a brand new Toshiba 1tb external HDD so I could 'clone' the internal drive in case of drive failure. The structure for the external HDD is Mac-BackUp (with a bootable superduper clone), Win8-BackUp (with a winclone image of BOOTCAMP) and Files-BackUp (NTFS format).

1. When in Bootcamp my Files drive does not show up, I believe this is something to do with the bootloader and the Files partition effectively being the 5th partition (taking recovery and another I don't recall into consideration) and Windows won't read the 5th Partition - is that correct? Any way around it?

2. If I eject my external drive it won't show again in OSX unless I restart my computer which surprises me as other external HDDs always remounted without issue - is this down to having a bootable clone parition on the drive?

3. The bootable clone on the external HDD does not show up in my boot list when I restart and hold Alt - It really should, shouldn't it? The Toshiba has a power saving function which means it stops spinning (though doesn't eject) when not in use - is this the issue with it not showing in the Alt boot screen perhaps? Making it redundant for a superduper backup as I won't be able to boot off it?

4. The NTFS Files-BackUp on the external HDD does not mount in Bootcamp - again, is this due to it being partitioned and having HFS partitioned on it? I assumed it would mount all 3 partitions without any problem.

Lots of questions I know but I can't find any relevant answers on the web so again, any advise would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!
  2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    first thing I'd wonder is what partition map scheme are you using?
  3. michaeldc thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2014
    Unsure, I used disk utility so I believe GUID.

Incidentally, point 2 may be resolved since yesterday for some reason. Today, I ejected it and plugged it back in and hey presto, all partitions mounted again. Not sure why it didn't work yesterday but again, a restart most likely blew a few cobwebs away... somehow.

Thank you for replying, over 500 views and no response made me think this was a rather unique set of problems. It still may be...