Extend Air's hardrive with SD card instead of buying bigger version

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
Hey folks,

I am currently a bit confused in regards to buying my next machine. I am actually looking to buy a new iMac, but I am getting a bit worried about it not coming.

I don't really wanna pay full price for a 2010 tech iMac and therefore I am looking into both the MBP and MBA.

Now when looking at the Air I am looking for the 13" as the 10" Asus Eee I currently have is way to small. But when looking at the different options I don't understand why buying the 256GB SDD option for US $ 300.00 more if I can get the 128GB SDD and buy a 128GB SD card for something like US $ 120.00 and save nearly 2/3 of the price!

Did anyone else thought about the same or maybe did the same thing and does it work?

cheers

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
Hey folks,

I am currently a bit confused in regards to buying my next machine. I am actually looking to buy a new iMac, but I am getting a bit worried about it not coming.

I don't really wanna pay full price for a 2010 tech iMac and therefore I am looking into both the MBP and MBA.

Now when looking at the Air I am looking for the 13" as the 10" Asus Eee I currently have is way to small. But when looking at the different options I don't understand why buying the 256GB SDD option for US $ 300.00 more if I can get the 128GB SDD and buy a 128GB SD card for something like US $ 120.00 and save nearly 2/3 of the price!

Did anyone else thought about the same or maybe did the same thing and does it work?

cheers
SD card are way slower but if speed isn't that important, like if you are only going to store your music and video on it, then they are in fact a good solution to expand your storage capacity with the added bonus that you can have more than one and swap it as needed.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
yeah, but those mini-usb drives are very, very slooooow. Might as well get a SD-card instead, if for the speeds alone.

mertyz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
Mac32 is right, don't expect high r/w speeds from receiver-size USB drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.