Extend apple care with newer iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by martosprint, May 8, 2014.

1. martosprint macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 5s since November 2013. I had taken out apple care which should carry me thru November 2015. Now if and that's a big if, I decide to get the iPhone 6 this coming November and I still have a year left with apple care, would I be able to use that one year left if I get the new iPhone 6? How would that work? I know that there would be an ETF with my carrier if I decided to get the new phone in November, and that's a big if, if it's not worth it. But I am just curious about the apple care coverage that remains on my current 5s. Would I lose the remaining year coverage? I hope I explained the question adequately. thanks for a reply

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

AC+ is attached to the device. You can't transfer any remainder to a new device. But the old device is still covered.

If you want AC+ for the new iPhone 6, you'll have to buy it for the iPhone 6.

3. martosprint thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thanks for the reply. So in other words the final year of apple care on my iPhone 5s would be wasted by purchasing the iPhone 6. It seems like it's not a good idea then to get the new phone. thanks for the reply.

4. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

You can sell it once the 6 comes out. The :apple:care + is a good selling point to keep the price up. ;)

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You can also contact Apple and ask to be reimbursed for the "unused" portion of Applecare.

6. cynics macrumors G4

Like mentioned the AC+ is attached to the device. So if you sell it the new owner would get a warranty. That's a HUGE plus when buying used devices.