Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
I have an iPhone 5s since November 2013. I had taken out apple care which should carry me thru November 2015. Now if and that's a big if, I decide to get the iPhone 6 this coming November and I still have a year left with apple care, would I be able to use that one year left if I get the new iPhone 6? How would that work? I know that there would be an ETF with my carrier if I decided to get the new phone in November, and that's a big if, if it's not worth it. But I am just curious about the apple care coverage that remains on my current 5s. Would I lose the remaining year coverage? I hope I explained the question adequately. thanks for a reply

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
AC+ is attached to the device. You can't transfer any remainder to a new device. But the old device is still covered.

If you want AC+ for the new iPhone 6, you'll have to buy it for the iPhone 6.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
Okay thanks for the reply. So in other words the final year of apple care on my iPhone 5s would be wasted by purchasing the iPhone 6. It seems like it's not a good idea then to get the new phone. thanks for the reply.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
Okay thanks for the reply. So in other words the final year of apple care on my iPhone 5s would be wasted by purchasing the iPhone 6. It seems like it's not a good idea then to get the new phone. thanks for the reply.

You can sell it once the 6 comes out. The :apple:care + is a good selling point to keep the price up. ;)

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
You can also contact Apple and ask to be reimbursed for the "unused" portion of Applecare.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Like mentioned the AC+ is attached to the device. So if you sell it the new owner would get a warranty. That's a HUGE plus when buying used devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.