Extend bootcamp partition?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nomadpass, May 10, 2008.

1. nomadpass macrumors member

Hey, I would like more space on my bootcamp partition... can I extend it?

2. vistafanboi macrumors member

I don't advise doing this from within Windows, nor do I advise doing it from within OS X. AFIK (as I remember), the only way to get a larger Windows Partition after creating one using BootCamp Assistant is to reinstall your Windows OS after deleting the current one and then creating a newer, larger one using BootCamp Assistant.

Perhaps BootCamp has been extended since the last time I used it (it was still in Beta) to include partition resizing or moving.

Let me explain further:
    Vista will allow extending, shrinking, or moving of NTFS "Basic" Partitions. But it must have free space to use to do this.

Since OS X "owns" the drive, Vista will not be able to access any free space without "violently" stealing it from OS X (which it doesn't see, any way; all Vista sees is an "unknown partition" of such-and-such size.)

Vista will "grab" the space for itself, and won't say a word to OS X about it, since to Vista, OS X just doesn't exist, but that space might be somewhere in the middle of the OS X kernel image, or in the middle of your Home folder in OS X. There is really no way to reliably know. The implication of all this is: "Goodbye OS X or my data!"

Just remember this the NEXT time you want to install a Microsoft OS on your Mac: a very LARGE system partition is BETTER than a very SMALL one.

I suggest that Vista should be installed on an 80GB partition, at the very MINIMUM. 120 GB would be better, and 250GB would be ideal. I'm sure others will poo-poo those figures. Those are their opinions. Mine is MY opinion, formed after MUCH experience using Microsoft OSes. I have been using a MIcrosoft OS since Windows 1.0 was released. I have noticed the INCREASING need for LARGER system partitions with each iteration of Windows. I've also noticed the increasing complaints and cries for help in newsgroups and forums like this one when users were MUCH too conservative when creating their system partitions.

Take my advice for what it's worth to you.

Donald L McDaniel
    :eek: