Extend Linksys Wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davidg4781, May 6, 2012.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

My mom has a Linksys router on one side of the house and her PC is on the other. The signal is somewhat weak and she has said it has been cutting out lately. What can I do to help fix this? I've noticed when I'm over even when sitting in the same room as her PC my iPhone and MacBook are having connection issues.

The cable modem is in the room with the router, but I COULD run a cat5 cable from one side of the house to the other. Would that be better than buying a repeater? With the cat5 cable, we would lose wifi on the other side of the house.

I do have an older Linksys wifi router. Could I add this to anything to help solve this problem?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

1. You could put a wireless range extender (newegg examples) somewhere in between.

2. You could run the ethernet cable from the router to the PC side of the house and add the extender there.

3. Same as #2 but connect the ethernet cable to a switch, then one ethernet out of the switch to the PC (for fastest connection to PC) and another out to the extender (to have whole-house coverage).

4. Just run ethernet to the middle of the house from the modem to a new, central location for the router. You can test this idea beforehand as you can at least see what kind of wifi signal the house will get from a new location.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Cable it is. I did have one few years ago in the same location (DSL modem was near computer and my computer was where the cable modem is now). Hopefully it's still there and isn't chewed on.