Extend Network using Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TribeFan1, Mar 2, 2014.

1. TribeFan1 macrumors regular

TribeFan1

We just got a new Airport Extreme and want to use the old 2008 Airport Extreme as an extender. How do I do this? I was able to when they were connected with the ethernet cable, but not wirelessly. Thanks!

2. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

add it as a bridge to your network and name it the same as your old network

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have the same set up and there is another setting you have to turn on. I can't remember, but it was something along the lines "let devices connect wirelessly" or something like that. Once I checked that, all worked great.

4. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

there is a option to EXTEND wireless thats the one I have one connected here at home

Attached Files:

5. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

can you extend a wireless network with an Airport Extreme which doesn't use one as the primary router?
    i.e. modem -> wireless network through Netgear router -> extend same network w/ AE

6. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

7. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Before you extend, just setup the new extreme and gauge your coverage? Is this the newest tower model? Given the much better range, we found 1 tower replaced 2 prior gen extremes and adding back 1 extreme as a wireless extender made the network worse.

8. NukeIT macrumors regular

Doing it wirelessly will cut your throughput by ½. I would find a way to route a cat 6 cable to it so you have full bandwidth

9. TribeFan1 thread starter macrumors regular

TribeFan1

Thanks to all for the responses. I never got it set up right and the basement wifi was not terrible, so I just eliminated the old Airport from the setup and am using only the new Airport. Wifi seems to be slow, but I believe the source is the provider(Cincinnati Bell).

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You could use a home plug to extent to your basement. To test your providers speed try speedtest.net