Extend network wirelessly AP ext to AP exp

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iJny9956, Sep 10, 2015.

1. iJny9956 macrumors member

Im in a dilemma here.

I work form home and my last location i could connect my work hardware directly to the main Airport Extreme and work from there. At new location I can not have my work equipment directly connected to the airport extreme due to setup and distance. Here is what i'm thinking:

internet > Airport Extreme AC )))))))))) WiFi )))))))))) AirPort Express ------- ethernet ------- [work hardware]

(this is AirPort Express A1264 802.11n)
    On the express I'd like for it to "Join" my existing wifi as a client and pass on that wifi connection to its ethernet port. While its doing that I'd like it not to distribute its own set of IP addresses but instead let the airport extreme be the master DHCP server and pass on existing IP addresses. This seems impossible to achieve no matter what I do and AirPort Utility just makes me feel dumb every time I use it, I think it's trying to be helpful.

No I am not interested in extending my WiFi or anything like that.

Please let me know what I can do here, or is there another hardware besides the airport express that can do something like this. I do not mind ditching my airport express. am i crazy?o_O

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Change the settings on the Express from "Create a Wireless Network" to "Join a Network" in AirPort Utility.

3. iJny9956 thread starter macrumors member

Got it! what happened is that during setup the AP exp would assign an ip to the computer I was using to setup with, and after restart the computer would keep that IP. so whenever i checked back It looked as if the AP exp was serving up new IPs.

Thanks.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Glad you got it setup exactly how you needed it. Report back if you have any more questions!