Extend Time Capsule wifi Range Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by IanT720, May 30, 2011.

1. IanT720 macrumors newbie

I have a time capsule with 2 computers and printer connected via Ethernet:confused:, then a Imac xbox and dell laptop via wifi. The wifi in the lower levels of our house is pretty weak so How would I extend the network? instead of creating 2 separate one's? Could I purchase an extreme or express and link them to the TC by wifi? to create one big network or would I have to wire it to the TC to create one big network?

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

you could buy an airport express and have it link to the tc to extend it. an extreme will work too but the express is cheaper

3. IanT720 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay would the extreme have better wifi? g network? and could I wireless link them or would I have to run a cable?

4. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

the express has a draft n while the new extremes have the final version. if your extending the express should be fine. the one big difference is the extreme does simultaneous dual band. this means it can run at 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz. the 5 ghz will be faster but not as good range and the 2.4 ghz will slower than 5 ghz but with more range. imo i would get an express to extend the range. the extreme has a lot of features and if all you want to do is extend the express will be good. they both can do A, B, G, and N and since you have a tc you will not have to run a cable if you buy an extreme or express. when you set it up you it will ask you what you want it to do.