Extend Time Capsule with Extreme

TheDane

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
Wonder if anyone can confirm this for me...

I use a Mac Mini (Plex) to show movies in the living room - often the movies show very good - but with larger files the wireless network connectivity makes playback lag.

So the TC's range could need a boost. I am thinking of buying a used Airport Extreme 802.11n to extend the network and place it somewhere between the TC and the Mac Mini.

Is it correct that i can extend the existing wireless network with the AE - and...get the demanded boost in network strentgth?

Thanks!

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!
Wonder if anyone can confirm this for me...

I use a Mac Mini (Plex) to show movies in the living room - often the movies show very good - but with larger files the wireless network connectivity makes playback lag.

So the TC's range could need a boost. I am thinking of buying a used Airport Extreme 802.11n to extend the network and place it somewhere between the TC and the Mac Mini.

Is it correct that i can extend the existing wireless network with the AE - and...get the demanded boost in network strentgth?

Thanks!
Don't know about the extreme, but the express will do just that and it will do it cheaper. :)

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Where possible run a wire.

In my last house I had a TC extending the wireless network from an Airport Extreme, but my iMac, TiVo, :apple:TV1, etc... were all wired directly to the TC to maximize wireless bandwidth availability.

B