Extended Airport network with added roaming AEBS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by seaneee, Mar 9, 2014.

1. seaneee macrumors newbie

My network is currently setup around a Time Capsule. From that there is an APE connected to my Stereo, another AEBS extending the network to the front of my house and lastly, a hard wired AEBS that creates a roaming network at the back of my house and an access point for media devices.

The roaming part was just recently setup and it's working really well. However, if I make any changes to the config of the TC and reboot, the two devices setup to extend connect to the AEBS setup for roaming. The only way to remedy this and have the extenders re-connect to the TC (it's the closest airport) is to restart the roaming AEBS and let the extenders reconnect to the TC.

Is there a way to set this up so the two extenders only connect to the main time capsule? Or am I SOL since the roaming network has the same name/setup?

Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Configure the hardwired Extreme to not allow its wireless network to be extended. That way any extension devices will only connect to the Time Capsule.

3. seaneee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.

Initially seemed like a "no-duh" solution, but it's kinda tricky. Airport Utility did away with the "allow this network to be extended" checkbox. The way in is through timed access control (I think).

I setup rules for the MAC address for both devices and their corresponding 5GHz and 2.5GHZ connections (didn't see a need for ethernet). They are set to "No Access".

After the restart I lost my extenders, checked the TC and noticed that the settings for timed access on the roaming AEBS were mirrored on the TC, so not incoming connections for either. I unchecked timed access control on the TC and rebooted. So far each base station is sticking to it's own settings, let's hope it stays like that.

4. seaneee thread starter macrumors newbie

No dice. After a few minutes, the main TC synced with the Timed access on the roaming AEBS. Back to the drawing board...

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

6. seaneee thread starter macrumors newbie

^ Nice! Thank you!!! :)

Worked like a charm. So does this just write to the config file for that unit? Will use of the current Airport Utility screw things up?

7. smellalot macrumors 6502

Why do you need to do this? Doesn't the extending APX connect to the base station that gives it the strongest signal?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The the Time Capsule restarts, the connection is dropped and the Express connects and stays connected to the only other base station, the Extreme and won't switch to the Time Capsule.

9. smellalot macrumors 6502

Oh OK, I did not read that part correctly. Thanks!

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is a firmware change. It will hold true even if you use the new AirPort Utility. Essentially, that button just isn't there in the new one. Apple knew better than to have it reset base stations and reconfigure with the new utility. In fact, they recommended the old utility alongside 6.0 when it was released.