Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mario-64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I have both a work and personal iPhone 8 and am leaving soon on a two week international trip where I will be using just the work phone. I'd like to keep my personal phone powered on while I'm gone so messages will still route to my iPad when it's on WiFi. Is it safe to leave an iPhone on the wireless charger continually for two weeks? Thanks

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
I have both a work and personal iPhone 8 and am leaving soon on a two week international trip where I will be using just the work phone. I'd like to keep my personal phone powered on while I'm gone so messages will still route to my iPad when it's on WiFi. Is it safe to leave an iPhone on the wireless charger continually for two weeks? Thanks
It's not advised, but it is safe. Worst case scenario, your battery life will not last as long in the future because of it. Apple has a built in auto shut off feature that refuses any electricity into a device when it is fully charged. However, it will continue to send little spurts of electricity into the device to keep it at 100%. Hope this helps!

mario-64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Thanks for the responses. I have a wireless charger actually. Is that better or worse?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
At battery levels above about 85%, it doesn't matter what size of charger you use, the iPhone tapers down the current at higher voltage. An iPad charger or the little 5 watt charger put out the same amount of current when the battery is almost full.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Safe? Of course? Do you unplug your television, your microwave? Plugged or unplugged makes no difference, except that one will keep the battery topped off and one won't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.