Extended Desktop On The Fly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kan-O-Z, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

I have a MBP and have a 20" Widescreen LCD hooked up to it. Most of the time I will run in it clamshell mode (lid closed). There are times I need both displays. I normally have to put the MBP to sleep and then open the lid to get both up. Is there any other way to do this besides putting the MBP to sleep? It's quite annoying especially when you have a chat session open to have to sleep/wake up.

I've heard it mentioned that you can just connect/disconnect the DVI connector to the display but that's not real convenient either.

All I want to be able to do is when I am running in lid closed mode using external display and need my MBP screen, I would simply like to pop it open on the fly and it just works. Any ideas?

Kan-O-Z

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

open your MBP's lid and click "Detect Displays" in Display preferences :)

3. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. At first I thought this would be annoying too in terms of opening up preferences, going display, etc. I then realized that you can put the display up on the menu bar so thanks!

Now the last problem. Going from 2 displays back to 1 external display by closing the lid puts the MBP to sleep. How do I get it to not sleep when doing this?

Kan-O-Z