Extended preferences without winterboard?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jake921660, Jan 11, 2009.

1. jake921660 macrumors regular

I know winterboard takes up a lot of the memory and I only use it to activate Extended Preferences. So how do I put extended preferences on without winterboard installed? Im guessing it involves SSHing into the device?

2. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Firstly learn more about SSHing with the iPhone.

Next, look in /Library/Themes for the EP files, and copy ALL of them to their corresponding spaces in the iPhone filesystem; it's not TOO hard to work out.

hope that helps

//doobi18

3. jake921660 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.

Ive done some SSHing befoe so I sorta know what Im doing.

Ive found the /Library/Themes/Extended Preferences.theme/Bundles directory but where do I have to put these files. I had a look around but couldnt really find it.

4. doobi18 macrumors 6502

I can't check it myself at the moment, but I am fairly sure it corresponds to the /System/Library/Coreservices/Springboard folder.

5. leishan macrumors 6502

I think you are correct.

6. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Wow this is an excellent find (this thread). I love the extended preferences, but I do agree with winterboard consuming lots of memory. I'll have to try this as well. :)

7. doobi18 macrumors 6502

I use winterboard for my own theming - saves me having to modify files all over the place each time i want to tweak my theme or when I update firmware.

None the less it should always be remembered that Winterboard is only a method of safely subbing files, which can always be done without.

I havn't used Extended Prefs - would someone mind giving me a run down on what extra capabilities it allows?

//d0obi18

8. jake921660 thread starter macrumors regular

Gahh. I tried to do it but couldn't get it to work. Is there a way to do this without SSHing or winterboard?

It allows you to do things such as fake time and signal text and numeric battery and wifi indicators and other useful things. I use an iPod Touch so it also gives me things that are usually only on the iPhones settings app.