Extended Warranty, Beyond AppleCare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akdj, Aug 18, 2010.

1. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Hi All,

I'm getting down to the last month or so of warranty left on my 15" MBP, SantaRosa...2.2/4gRAM/120gHDD/128meg 8600 nVidia GPU.

I've had the Logic Board replaced early this year, due to a complete meltdown of the system. The battery was replaced last year...and I'm a bit concerned that I'll have more issues down the line for some reason. I've got over a dozen Mac products...including 7 computers of varying size. Most of them are relegated to our business, but we also have a couple of family machines. The oldest of my workstations is my PowerBook G4 15"/1.5ghz laptop...and it still whizzes along just fine. I've NEVER had an issue with ANY of my other products, including my wife's 13" MB that my 5 year old son often has his way with.

But this 15" MBP is a different story...I've had a couple of issues since the Logic Board crapped out, with different video related problems. Funky coloring, lines on the screen....or just NO video at all. None of these issues is repeatable, and all have happened only once. I've got a new case ID# to have it looked at...but, as it is my primary back and forth to office machine...it's tough to find time to bring it in. Not to mention, it generally runs just fine!

So...my question...I'm down to my last 30 days with Apple Care, and I'm curious if there are any companies that offer an extended warranty beyond the 3 years? Silly question, probably...considering 3 years seems to be the typical life span of any laptop...However, I find Apple products different...and am generally able to get 5 or 6...or even more years of productive use from their gear.

Does anyone know of any warranty service that will do this, or am I SOL? Apparently, after my last conversation with Apple support...I'm still ONE more major repair away from replacement....so yesterday I said "Screw It"...and bought a 17" i5. I can't afford to have this laptop that I rely so heavily on day in/day out to crap out on me. All of our gear is very much the heart of our business...and hence the reason I/we;ve switched entirely to Mac. It's just reliable. Period. Except for this damn MBP. It's killing me!!! (To the tune of about 2300 bucks last night:))

Thanks!!!

Jer

2. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

Sounds to me like you solved your problem getting the new one. Unfortunately from everything I've read over the last year on Macs - no extended warranty past Applecare exists.

3. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

Your video card is covered for 4 years. Get your restore dvds out and do a hardware test it might give a video card error. The video card is known defective in your computer and the symptoms you describe point to a failing card.