Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treynolds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Seattle
I received a 32GB WiFi iPad 2 last week as a gift and so far am enjoying it, though I wouldn't have purchased one for myself (at least for awhile longer) as I also have a Verizon iPhone 4 and a Kindle 3.

My question is:

Can I get Applecare for it even though I don't have the receipt? I'm pretty certain that I can't do Square Trade, because they require that a JPEG of the receipt be sent to validate the warranty that's purchased.

A quick search of the forum turned up nothing, hence the question...

Tony

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yes, you can buy Applecare on any ipad still within the original warranty.

The receipt would be for if there was a question as to which particular day the original warranty started, but if it's not a big deal over a couple days then no biggie.

Some would suggest waiting until the original warranty is nearly up before buying Applecare. Point being that delaying that purchase avoids situations where you lose out due to the ipad being lost/stolen or if you resell it within the first year you're unlikely to get much of the cost of Applecare back out.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
I received a 32GB WiFi iPad 2 last week as a gift and so far am enjoying it, though I wouldn't have purchased one for myself (at least for awhile longer) as I also have a Verizon iPhone 4 and a Kindle 3.

My question is:

Can I get Applecare for it even though I don't have the receipt? I'm pretty certain that I can't do Square Trade, because they require that a JPEG of the receipt be sent to validate the warranty that's purchased.

A quick search of the forum turned up nothing, hence the question...

Tony

Assuming the iPad you received was purchased less than a year ago (being an iPad 2 it surely was) - yes you can add applecare. All the registration site asks is the serial of the iPad and the applecare number.

treynolds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Seattle
Thanks, that confirmed what I'd thought! I registered the unit within the first 24 hours...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.