Extended Warranty, worth getting?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Strom1, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Strom1 macrumors regular

Strom1

Just got a call from Apple, my iMac's 1 year warranty is up in a week, they are offering me a 3yr warranty for 119.99, is it worth getting and does it add 3 years to the warranty or is it a total of 3 years? BTW my Imac is working perfectly. TIA.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

It makes the warranty a total of 3 years so you have essentially used 1 year of the warranty. It all depends on the person as to whether or not it is worth it. Basically, it comes down to piece of mind. If it will make you sleep better at night to have the warranty then I'd say get it otherwise don't buy it. I usually get Apple Care on all of my macs but that is just me personally. Some people feel that if it doesn't break in the first year then it is probably fine.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The extended warranty is called Applecare, and it adds 2 years to your existing warranty, making 3 years in total.

Its very useful, and i reccomend everyone to buy it, because you never know when an Apples going to break, but buy it from Ebay and not Apple and save 80%.

4. mozadek macrumors member

Next time buy a mac using an American Express card, AMEX has a warranty that kicks in for a year after the manufacturer's warranty runs out. Three years for $119 sounds like a good deal, I would just get it for peace of mind.

5. Strom1 thread starter macrumors regular

Strom1

When you say you save 80% on Ebay, then I'm looking at a price of about $24.00, something doesn't sound right, do you have a link?

6. guklein macrumors 6502a

The retail price for iMac AppleCare is $169 + taxes. On eBay you can find a price of $89 from a nice seller.

The price of $119 you got from Apple call must be a promotion!