Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kajitox, May 13, 2007.

1. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I'm just wondering what you guys think about spending the extra money on a new MBP (whenever they come out) to get the 3 year warranty instead of just the one year...I have seen some people say it's a waste of money, but the idea of being covered for 3 years is tempting (though that's probably why they are still making money off it).

2. mBurns macrumors 6502

Although I usually don't buy extended warranties on products, Macs are different. I look at my Apple as I would a high-end car. I don't want to be stuck out of warranty with a high-end car just like I wouldn't want to be with an Apple -- repairs can be expensive. That's what it gets down to. If you plan on keeping your computer for a few years, the plan is worthwhile. Essentially everything is covered. Also, even if you're planning on selling your machine in a year or two, it's much easier to sell because of the warranty. Someone buying a used machine sees the warranty as peice of mind. You can't go wrong with it! Just my two cents...

Also, you can always buy your machine and decide later down the road if you want to buy AppleCare or not.

3. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

I would suggest it for the laptops. Parts are designed to be light-weight which means that in the real world, they break. Also, laptops are subjected to more "abuse". I have never had my desktop Mac slide off the back seat of my car and drop on the floor! If you buy with a credit card, look into their warranty policy, many offer to double the manufacture's. Also, look at eBay for AppleCare sales, be careful, but most are perfectly legit.