Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by slick50, Mar 11, 2008.

1. slick50 macrumors newbie

Did you guys buy the extended warranty for your Ipod Touch? I just bought mine over the weekend and I am still not sure whether I want to return the warranty or not (I have a month to decide). I bought a 16 GB touch from Futureshop (similar to BestBuy in states) and they managed to sell me on a $100 extended warranty on a $369 Touch.

It seems a little steep and the only real benefit besides the extra year of coverage is that it covers the battery. They claim I can come back just before my warranty expires in two years and say the battery isn't living up to manufactuer specs and they will replace it. Not sure if this is true or not....

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Thanks.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Most of the time you are better getting the AppleCare Warranty. However, when the iPod first came out, people got the CompUSA extended warrenty, which replaced problem iPods with NEW iPods at the same price point, causing some early adopters to get 3G or 4G iPods for no additional charge.

TEG

3. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

Personally, I would put that $100 towards the Second Generation iPod Touch. By the time your warrenty runs out in 2 years, you'll be WAY behind.

Economically, you should take the warrenty.

Cool-ably (?), you should put it towards the next generation Touch.

This is just my view on things.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

28% for a warranty is a little steep, to say the least. I would return it. Use the money for a good case and your eventual replacement.

5. Resist macrumors 68030

If a product needs an extended warranty, that tells you something about the quality.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Futureshop sells extended warranties on ALL their products. Its their biggest money maker. Nothing to do with the product itself.