extended wi-fi for touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by ballnluv23, Dec 29, 2007.

1. ballnluv23 macrumors newbie

of course the Ipod touch has built in wifi, so we can all browse the internet through hotspots at cafes, bookstores, etc....

However, does anyone know of any monthly subscription service/charge that would allow the touch to have internet access at more places? for instance, while traveling down a highway or something of the sort? Is there some plan/service provider that offers this sort of possibility?

Basically, just looking out for possibilities of MORE hotspots so that we can all connect at more places! any ideas?

2. Bitter macrumors member

If there is a place that does offer extended internet...even for a fee.. I would be VERY interested as well.

Bitter.

3. ballnluv23 thread starter macrumors newbie

see? people are interested in this! anyone know of anything? even for a monthly fee/subscription?

4. Football1maniac macrumors regular

Football1maniac

I believe what you guys are looking for is the iPhone. Wi-Fi is not like a cellular connection. But there is one company that wants to have more Wireless Internet everywhere. But you have to hook up to it too and pay $50 to buy the device for it.:apple:

5. ballnluv23 thread starter macrumors newbie

and what is this company called? any other ideas?

p.s. thanks for the tip on the iphone....what we dont want is to have to switch to an inferior service provider like AT&T, and an expensive data plan......

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, nothing like that is currently available. I would say that it's gonna be 10 years before something like that even gets definite planning. It would be way too expensive to support and there's currently not enough interest in it.

7. gmugrad04 macrumors newbie

If your really hard-pressed to get wi-fi on the touch while your on the road, the only thing I can think of is to get a Sprint/Verizon aircard and buy an aircard wireless router for it.

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Tmobile has a hotspots program that you can pay for. It lets you use any of their WiFi hotspots scattered around the country, but it's about as expensive as the iPhone data plan.

9. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

are you talking about FON? i did this when they offered free wireless routers...(i got like four hahahaha) all you had to do was keep he box connected but i tried it and it messed up my regular connection....so i stopped...but their motto was to get wifi free al around the world, i might try it again, but no one lives around me tat uses wireless...hahahaha...i was reading in Pop Sci that motorola just released their wifi antenna that could be used to power whole cities...

10. touchkid macrumors member

11. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

12. BII macrumors member

T-Mo is my mobile phone provider and I pay $30 a month for unlimited data on their EDGE network, and Hotspot is included for free.

with a little hackery, i was able to "tether" (using wifi) my t-mo dash and touch together and use the dash's EDGE on my ipod touch. it involved editing the registry on the dash, and i forgot the details, but there's a thread somewhere here about it.

unfortunetly my dash out of commission and I'm waiting for a new one, otherwise I'd post the details.

13. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

An iPhone.
    Even if there was a service that provided WiFi in more areas, the fee would eventually outweigh the iPhone and its contract.

14. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Good to know that the Dash can tether with the touch... I wondered about that. I thought that Tmobiles unlimited data plan was only $6 or 7 a month, though? If you're paying $30 for it on Tmo, seems like the iPhone would have been a good purchase?

Anyways, you can get access to their hotspots without a cell plan, which is, I think, what the original poster was asking about... it's $20 or so I think.