Extending a 2wire Network with an Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dvdhsu, Mar 28, 2008.

1. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Recently, I bought an Airport Express with 802.11n. I have a 2-Wire modem at home, a 2701 HG-B. I have heard of people who had extended their Linksys with an Airport Express. I was wondering how I would be able to do this on the 2Wire, with Airport Utility on my Mac. Thanks a lot for the help.

-David

2. bzboy01 macrumors newbie

I have the same question with 2wire 1701

I bought an airport express in order to extend my network currently using AT&T 2wire. I have not been able to do it and I would like someone to assist me. I am hoping that someone has already done this.

3. dvdhsu thread starter macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Can anyone help us both. It will definitley make our day. Thanks

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You shouldn't be able to with the 2wire. It will only officially extend Airport Extreme networks and unofficially a Linksys WRT54G (only ones with the Broadcom chip). Apparently, any router that supports WDS should work with the Airport Express.

However, if you can figure out how to do it with a 2wire router I'd LOVE to know how as I am unfortunately using the 2701 HG-D.

5. n8236 macrumors 65816

6. dvdhsu thread starter macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I have tried everything over the past few months, and as and update to the thread, nothing has worked.
    The AirPort Express can only be used to extend an AirPort Extreme network.

7. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

same issue here. I finally bought a time capsule. The 2wire goes to the time capsule. The time capsule broadcasts my wireless and is extended via the express. I played with the settings on the 2wire forever. Nothing worked except turning off the wireless and going with the TC. ;)

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

You guys will find that if you have all apple airport equipment, extending your network would be a snap with the airport utility.

9. Brendanbc1 macrumors newbie

I don't no if this will work for u but uverse installed my 2wore router and it is making a wds network or whatever. I have an airport extreme and I used the airport utility on my mac. I set it as wds and wpa/wpa2 password, entered the right password, and it worked. It does not extend the range or increase the signal strwnght but it let's me use the wireless printer that Was hooked up to the extreme. I was wondering if it makes the network a Saul n and g network like it is if you just use the extreme.

10. dvdhsu thread starter macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Well, that's just joining the network, I can do that easily on my Airport Express too.
    As of now, I still haven't found a solution, and have sold my Airport Express to get a dual band router. :cool:

11. dvdhsu thread starter macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

You know, after searching around a bit, this might actually work.
    Since I sold my Airport Express, would anybody be willing to give it a try?

12. MiguelMunoz macrumors newbie

Extending a 2-wire network to an Airport Express for AirPlay

I was able to connect my Airport Express to my existing 2-wire network, so I could use AirPlay. (I can't do it with My Mac Pro, because it doesn't have WiFi hardware.) This is not quite the same thing as "extending a wireless network," but you may be able to do that by choosing "Extend a wireless network" instead of "Join a wireless network in step 10.

I should add that I intend communicate wirelessly with my Airport Express, even though I hook up an ethernet cable in step 1. I disconnect this cable in step 13 and continue communicating with it wirelessly.

Here's what I did:

1) I reset the Airport Express to its factory settings, which resets its password to the word public.

2) I connected it to my 2-wire router using an ethernet cable. (The cable is temporary. It isn't set up for wireless yet.)

3) In my browser, I went to the 2-wire setting, which, on your system is probably at http://192.168.1.254

4) I figured out what is the ip address of my Airport Express unit. If you know which devices are on your network, you can use the "Home Network Devices" table under the "Home" tab. Just click "Device Details" next to your Airport device and look at your ip address. If you're not clear which is the Airport device, Click on your Settings tab, then click on the LAN tab in the second row, and look for the "Devices" table. This table shows which device is which, based on which LAN port your cable is plugged into. So if you plugged your Airport device into port 3 on the back of your router, Just look for Port 3 in the interface column, then check the IP Address column for that row.

5) I also made note of my wireless network name, which you can find under the Home tab.

6) Then I went to the Utilites sub-folder of my Applications folder and opened Airport Utility (version 6.2.)

7) Airport Utility told me it couldn't find any Airport Express, so I went to the File menu and chose "Configure Other..."

8) I entered the IP address (from step 4) into its field, and entered

public

into the password field. (Use your password.) When I hit OK, it took a while before it opened the window.

9) In the "Base Station" tab, I changed the name of my Airport (this is optional), and entered a new password in the two password fields. I ignored the "Back to My Mac:" settings at the bottom.

10) I went to the "Wireless" tab specified these settings:
    Network Mode: Join a wireless network
    Wireless Network Name: (Here, I entered the name of my wireless network, from step 5)
    Wireless Security: WPA/WPA2 Personal
    Wireless Password: (Here, I entered the "Wireless Network Key" printed on the side of the U-Verse Modem)

11) Under the "Airplay" tab, I made sure "Enable AirPlay" was checked, and the Airplay Speaker name was the name of my Airport Extreme from step 9. (This is optional. I did this because I was planning to use iTunes Airplay. If you're not planning to do this, don't bother with this step.)

12) I hit the "Update" button, then waited for the Airport device to reset itself.

13) Once it was reset, I disconnected it from the network and moved it to another room.

14) When I plugged it in, the light eventually turned green, and it started working fine.