Extending Airport Wi-Fi Coverage

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kevhui, Nov 18, 2008.

1. kevhui macrumors regular

Hi,

I would like to know how can I extend the coverage of a Airport Wi-Fi network.

I heard that Airport Extreme can "daisy chain" Airport Express to extend the coverage, but I am not sure if this is true or will it work in my environment:

I have a Asus WiFi router in my living room, and I am using iMac in my bedroom. I have LAN cable extended to my bedroom so my iMac has no problem in accessing Internet. But my iMac cannot log on the Asus Wi-Fi network because there are concrete walls.

So my question is, if now my iMac cannot even use Wi-Fi, would the Airport network work for me?

Many thanks.

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I have two Airport Extremes, one connected to my router downstairs and another upstairs that is extending the wireless 802.11n network. I works really well. The only problem is that due to my house having really thick concrete walls and floors the speed of the connection upstairs is slower.

If your walls are really thick you my want to consider a Powerline Network.

3. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your advice.

How did you connect your upstair Extreme to the downstair one? Do they connect wirelessly to extend the coverage?

4. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Yes there are 'connected' wirelessly. Its very easy to set up using Apple's Airport Utility application.