Extending Airport's Wireless Signal

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cogmate, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Cogmate macrumors member

Airport Extreme:
    Purchased & Installed: July 2012.
    Works fine for rooms about 20' apart.

Is there a way to extend its signal a greater distance throughout my house?
    Do I need additional hardware?

Do the new 2014 Airport Extreme models have enhanced technology ~ and throw signals further?

Thanks.

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You can add an Airport Express to do what you want.

From the Apple Web site:

Extend an existing Wi-Fi network’s range.

If you already have a wireless network in your home and want to extend its range, AirPort Express can help. Just place it in range of your primary base station — an AirPort Extreme, AirPort Time Capsule or another AirPort Express — and near the area where you want your wireless connection. Launch the easy-to-use AirPort Utility app on your iOS device or Mac, and you’re mere minutes away from long-range Wi-Fi enjoyment.

3. Cogmate thread starter macrumors member

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Something to note is that you lose half of your bandwidth in wireless extension.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68040

And the Express is way overpriced to just extend range, if you don't need its other features.

And I'd recommend something with external antennas or the ability to attach them. The antenna can make a big difference in reception. And sometimes you can get a cheap access point and use ethernet to get it in an advantageous position to beam to the place where your reception is lagging. In that case you don't lose the bandwidth.

Check smallnetbuilder.com for some ideas.