Extending an *old* time capsule with a *new* airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by spaceballl, Nov 12, 2009.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hi there,
    I have a 500GB Time Capsule right now. It's a single band model, and it's running in 2.4ghz blended mode. I currently have it extended with a single band airport extreme (I have a couple wired devices plugged into that airport extreme as well). I need the 2.4ghz blended mode, due to the amount of iPods / iPhones / netbooks on the network. I'm thinking of doing the following...

- Change the Time Capsule to output a 5.8ghz signal
    - Replace my airport extreme with a NEW dual band airport extreme
    - Extend the range of the time capsule with the dual band airport extreme, allowing for 2 signals (5.8ghz (N) and 2.4 ghz (G))

Has anyone tried this? I think it should work... I don't see anything on Apple's site to suggest it won't. I don't want to replace the old Time Capsule at this point...

2. skarocks47 macrumors member

If you get the new airport extreme and extend the time capsul network would not really do anything to help you bc the time capsule would only be a G band and you would get the same bandwith even tho you had the dual band airport extreme.

I would just buy the new airport extreme and use that as the main router and extend the network with the time capsule.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

skarocks47 has the right idea. Use the AEBS as the main router and the TC to extend it. Set the AEBS's 5 GHz band to 802.11n only and keep the 2.4 GHz band in blended mode. The wired devices can be plugged into the TC's LAN ports, and the TC can be used to extend either the 2.4 or the 5 GHz bands depending on your needs.

4. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Why would it be a G band? I can set up a 5ghz N-Band on it...
    This doesn't work for me. I desperately need the increased range where the AEBS is right now. It is reaching to a part in the house that there is no way the TC can reach.

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Just an update - I ordered this for my parents, and I'm going home for the holidays so I'll install it then. I'm going to try both methods... I will report back!

6. skarocks47 macrumors member

Your right you could set up a 5ghz band but on top of the range you get from the 5ghz band you also get upped bandwith. So if you extent a G Band and set up both a G and N band on the ABES B both bands will be limited to the bandwith of the original G band your extending. But if all you care about is the range you get from it. It would be just fine to use the ABEs to extend the network.