Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nood1es

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
So besides the typical turning this n that off. Is there really another way to charge or have some sort of mobile quick charge for flights with no in seat charger? Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So besides the typical turning this n that off. Is there really another way to charge or have some sort of mobile quick charge for flights with no in seat charger? Thanks!
There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for tips on extending it.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Or you could buy one of these.

cedwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Canada
If you aren't able to use a power source and have to survive strictly on your battery, my advice is to turn your screen brightness down to two bars, turn off WiFi and Bluetooth and close any programs not in use. I can get 4.5 hours of video playback on my 2010 11" MBA when I do this, it has gotten me through every flight so far with battery life to spare. :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Heres a video on some tips on maximising battery usage.
For those who don't want to sit through the video, the recommendations are:
  • Use the YouTube HTML5 Video Player
  • Install Adobe Flash 10.2
  • Install Install ClickToFlash to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • The final recommendation is wrong. That video suggests calibration every month, which isn't necessary.

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries.

Read the Battery FAQ.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
If you'll be watching movies with it, convert those movies to 480p first. You won't notice much difference on the smaller screen, and it'll save your battery a bunch of juice.

HandBrake is what you can use to convert (it is free and save to use, just google it).

nood1es

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
thanks for the tips fellas. Sadly I don't have enough time to order any external backups. Flight leaves this sunday. At one point it's a 15hr flight. =\ first class seats is the only section that has a power supply located in the seats.

Guess i'll just have to use it strategically and sleep for a bit.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
thanks for the tips fellas. Sadly I don't have enough time to order any external backups. Flight leaves this sunday. At one point it's a 15hr flight. =\ first class seats is the only section that has a power supply located in the seats.

Guess i'll just have to use it strategically and sleep for a bit.

An iPad (10 hours) + MBA could get through even a 15 hour flight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.