Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
Has anyone seen any de jure info as to whether powering an iPhone off/on versus allowing it to sleep/wake causes any difference in the battery's life cycle?

Also, do the so-called "rapid chargers" have any deleterious effects on a battery's ultimate life or capacity? Is charging an iPhone from either a 1) power strip with included USB port or 2) 110/115v wall socket with a supplied USB port going to cause a future battery problem?

The 110/115v/USB replacement wall sockets currently offered on the market have only been out for a couple of years and i was toying with the idea of replacing the one nearest my computer and one in my bedroom with one of these USB equipped wall sockets for convenient charging, but wasn't sure about any bad effects that I might be inducing by charging in this manner.

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I don't see why turning your phone off and on would save any battery over just letting it sleep. iPhones have pretty decent standby time.

The USB ports on wall outlets will work fine. Those things basically have the A/C adapter built into the outlet, instead of needing to plug it in.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
I don't think the battery is incredibly accurate anyway. I can charge fully before bed and use till it's at 96% and then turn on in morning and it's showing as 100% so I don't really trust the read out that much. Since update it's showing less not more next morning. It is what it is

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
First phone? You are over thinking it.

Turning off the phone, assuming you let it off long enough (hours) may save you another 1% battery life. Most people wouldn't bother with it.

Power strip USB fine, as already mention.

Worry less, enjoy more.

magilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
First phone? You are over thinking it.

Turning off the phone, assuming you let it off long enough (hours) may save you another 1% battery life. Most people wouldn't bother with it.

Power strip USB fine, as already mention.

Worry less, enjoy more.

Yeah, first smartphone only the battery ain't so smart. Only had it a week and had to charge it 3x already. This past Tuesday, with NOTHING running in the background, WiFi, Bluetooth and Locations all turned off, battery was showing @ 80%. After a less than 5 minute local phone call, battery dropped to 73%. Took it to a local Apple Store and the service tech said her diagnostics said the battery looked fine. I asked how often she had to re-charge hers and she said sometimes she'll have to do it in the middle of the day. Of course, she was smurfing, downloading videos/clips, playing games and watching TV (all of which I DON'T do) so I'm more than a bit surprised when I am continually seeing battery charge declining. I work a night shift (11PM - 7:30AM) and purposely turned the phone off before I went to bed the other day (around 4 PM). Battery was showing @ 90%. When I got up later (around 9:30 PM) I turned the phone on and it was showing 85% (again powered off - nothing running). Went to work & did not use phone (or power it on all night). In the morning (7:30) as I was leaving I powered the phone on and battery showed 75%! i keep looking for electrons dribbling out onto the floor but haven't seen any yet. Even after doing some contacts updating yesterday (about 1/2 hrs worth of work) the battery level dropped from 70% to 65%.

At this rate, I'll have to have Apple swap out the battery in less than a year because it won't charge up to their (Apple's) stated ratings.

When I first got the phone (from BestBuy) they had charged it to 45% to get me "out the door" but when I got home I immediately hooked it up until it was showing a 100% battery level before using it.

All this from a phone whose advertised "standby time" is 250 hrs (10 days) seems just a bit short of the mark. I could NEVER leave this phone on in standby mode for 250 hours - it'd never make 1/2 that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.