Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Memzee

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Hey all..

I bought a 500GB Time Capsule the other day and have it set up as follows:
Belkin wireless router with built-in ADSL modem in one room, broadcasting to the hosue at 802.11b/g, WPA encryption.
Time Capsule in my room, connected to Canon Pixma iP5200 printer via USB, and to the Belkin router via Ethernet.

I've set it up following the steps to extend the existing wireless network. I understand this means the Time Capsule will take data from the Belkin router via Ethernet and broadcast wirelessly to extend the network? At the moment, I have a Windows notebook that can see the Time Capsule, and print wirelessly to the Canon printer from anywhere in the house (pretty much).

The problem is with my MacBook (running 10.5.2 and the latest Airtport/Time Machine updates). Iit works fine if I connect it to the Time Capsule with another Ethernet cable. If I remove the Ethernet cable though, the Time Capsule no longer shows up in my Airport Utility. I can connect to the internet wirelessly, but it seems only through the Belkin wireless router, because the signal strengh in my room is still very low (16% according to iStat wireless).

So my guess is, the Time Capsule isn't broadcasting wirelessly. But if that was the case, would the Windows notebook still be able to print wirelessly? I've gone through the settings in Airport Utility, and Time Capsule isn't reporting any problems.

So what gives? =/

Any help would be really appreciated.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Did you set it up as an extension? It may be a client but not an extender to your cuyrrent netwrok. HEnce the printer working but not the internet portion.

Memzee

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
I have set it as an extension, yes. Although, I keep trying to set it to connect to the other router through ethernet and it keeps switching to connecting wirelessly as far as I can see.

Screenshot of settings: http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6758/picture1lq3.png

Please let me know if you need to see anymore of the way its set up!

(Sorry, I'm a novice when it comes to stuff like this).

Thanks.

:) Mem

*bump*

Can anyone help?

sadilak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
NY
I have set it as an extension, yes. Although, I keep trying to set it to connect to the other router through ethernet and it keeps switching to connecting wirelessly as far as I can see.

Screenshot of settings: http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6758/picture1lq3.png

Please let me know if you need to see anymore of the way its set up!

(Sorry, I'm a novice when it comes to stuff like this).

Thanks.

:) Mem

*bump*

Can anyone help?

Hey, Any luck so far?

Memzee

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
No luck. I've tried asking on other forums as well and haven't had any responses haha..
:confused:

sadilak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
NY
No luck. I've tried asking on other forums as well and haven't had any responses haha..
:confused:

I guess if there is a way to undo the update for the Time Capsule, that can be fixed. But I was able to find a solution anyhow, but that was because I had a sling box even before I got the TC.

What I did was use a Sling link and connect the T.C to my sling link(which conects to my Linksys 802.11n router).

Thorbjorn

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Memzee:
I'll be curious to find out whether and how you solve this problem. I have a Canon Pixma iP3000 I'm trying to access through Time Capsule. It works fine when directly USBed into my new iMac but can't be added to printer queue when USBed into Time Capsule. It shows up in the second panel when I tell Airport Utility I want to add a printer, but then when I click "+" the whole thing hangs and eventually gives me an error number (-9672). Just can't get it to take. So I'm back to plugging it in directly. Maybe someone will set us straight?...

sadilak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
NY
Memzee:
I'll be curious to find out whether and how you solve this problem. I have a Canon Pixma iP3000 I'm trying to access through Time Capsule. It works fine when directly USBed into my new iMac but can't be added to printer queue when USBed into Time Capsule. It shows up in the second panel when I tell Airport Utility I want to add a printer, but then when I click "+" the whole thing hangs and eventually gives me an error number (-9672). Just can't get it to take. So I'm back to plugging it in directly. Maybe someone will set us straight?...

Why are you trying to add a printer using Airport utility, try adding it using the Print and Fax utility from System Preferences.. That should work

Thorbjorn

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Apologies, all. I miswrote. I wasn't using Airport Utility to try to add in my printer: I was using Print & Fax. No go, though.

sadilak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
NY
I have no idea about canon pixma printers, but you must see it if it is connected to the TC and the TC is visible. If not, the drivers might be missing.

Thorbjorn

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Well, right now I've got it USBed back into my computer and it works fine. But yes, I had downloaded the most recent driver from Canon and the printer is visible in Printer & Fax. It just won't "add" when I click the requisite "+" to add it. Long hang and then I get the error message (-9672).

Jimbo Slice

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
Oakville, ON
Well, right now I've got it USBed back into my computer and it works fine. But yes, I had downloaded the most recent driver from Canon and the printer is visible in Printer & Fax. It just won't "add" when I click the requisite "+" to add it. Long hang and then I get the error message (-9672).

I have this exact problem. The weird thing is that it was working a few days ago and then last night, it just stops.
To clarify, printer is a Lexmark MX300 and it works fine when plugged directly into iMac via USB. However when plugged into Time Capsule, I get error 9672 when trying to re-add it. I am trying to re-add it because I had it before and it was working but now when I try to print all I get is error 306 (Comm. error) so I tried to re-add it but thats not working either. I have a feeling its the Time capsule giving the problem because when I tried printing from my windows laptop using bonjour (was working fine a few days ago as well) it also doesn't work. :confused:

After trying a bunch of different things, I tried what used to work in my pre-Apple days, I unplugged it all and let it sit for 2 mins then plugged it back in.
Voila! It works again, I think it was a comm error within the time capsule cause thats all I unplugged actually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.