Extending home internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Trix10, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Trix10 macrumors member

Hey all, bit of a mixture of a question.

Currently we have our internet provided by Virgin Media (UK). We have their Super hub thing, which at the moment i have set to send its signal through a wire into the Time Capsule, which is acting as our router. This sends out our wireless signal which reaches to 60% of the house. Great.

Now, coming out of the Time Capsule i have a ethernet cable, which is connected into a Devolo home networking plug. The one that goes into the mains.

I then have 4 of these plugs, at the back of my house where the wireless signal doesn't reach. Now we got these plugs when they first came out and were about £120 each. So, probably about 5 years now.

We're obviously getting more and more internet capable devices in our house and i think our internet is struggling. Many games consoles, computers, phones, ipads, even our home heating is controlled via the internet.

I think one of the blue plugs i use to connect my mac mini to the internet is dying. Sometimes i will come on and be told that my computer has a self assigned ip address and cannot connect to the internet. If i change the blue plug thats connected to another one, then it works ok again.

So, tomorrow i need to fix the internet. Reset the Time Capsule and just start from scratch.

Is there a way or a limit on how many devices can be connected to the internet at once? If so, is there a way to change this limit somewhere?

I was then wondering if someone had any suggestions for fixing the range of our internet.

I'm probably going to just buy some new/modern home network plugs and use them instead of the old ones, but not sure if there might be a better way.

Hope this all makes sense! Thanks for any help!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Now your Time Capsule is set in "Bridged Mode" (Apple speak to say NAT is turned off. I say this because you stated that you have a Superhub acting as your NAT main router, is that correct?