Extending Imac Desktop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gaelan, Apr 25, 2007.

1. gaelan macrumors regular

Concerning the extended/mirror desktop function of the imac, is it useful? I already have a lcd monitor, and I like the idea of using two monitors at once but I think it is more for the geek cred than functionality. 24" is out of the budget. I'm still in the planning stage, but I'm thining 17" imac to pair with my 17" lcd.

Do a lot of you use this feature? ...mostly interested in the extended desktop not the mirroring.

If so can you provide a brief description of what you use it for or why you find it useless. Thanks.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I use it very frequently for work. My primary machine is a 15" PowerBook, so it can be tough to get multiple windows on one screen at the same time. The external comes in handy for putting up items to reference while I'm working on a project on my main screen. It's also good for having things like iChat and iTunes open and visible, but off to the side. If you work in any programs with a lot of palettes, it can be nice to have a lot of them open and accessible on the secondary screen.

Once you integrate a second monitor into your workflow, you'll wonder how you ever survived without it.