Extending MBP Wireless Range

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChitownE, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ChitownE macrumors newbie

Just moved into an apartment where the building owner provides free wireless access, but the router is in the basement 3 floors down. My MBP can see the network, but the signal is weak and frequently cuts out.

So, I purchased a couple things to address the problem: a Hawking USB Wireless-G adapter and a Hawking External antenna to attach to the adapter. This worked pretty well - the range was definitely extended and the signal is fairly strong.

But, the driver I had to use (from Radtech) to get the USB network adapter working is now causing my MBP to crash fairly often. No good.

Anyone else found some good hardware to extend your MBP's wireless range? I've got an Airport Extreme - there's no way to use that to pick up the access point's signal, is there? Or is there a good Mac-compatible external network adapter out there that I could try?

Appreciate your help!

2. sfs macrumors member

Can you ask the owner to move the router to a better location or add some antennas? You could even offer to provide higher-gain antennas to fit on the router. Unfortunately, I'm new to the Mac platform so I can't recommend hardware for compatibility with it. I've always liked Netgear's wireless stuff, though.

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Try this Mac compatible receiver... yeah it's lil pricey but it's an option if the 'landlord' won't install 'better' antennas on the router..

4. apple90 macrumors member